Health is more than your weight.
As a Health at Every Size® professional, I personally and professional practice the following tenets from the HAES movement to move you towards authentic health and wellbeing
1. I believe Health Enhancement comes from adequate attention to there emotional, physical and spiritual needs of an individual rather than weight loss, or the attainment of an prescribed “ideal weight”
2. I believe that there are a wide variety of body shapes and sizes and encourage individuals to respect and celebrate their diversity. I believe every individual can be their own kind of beautiful.
3. I believe in moving individuals from an externally regulated eating style such as food plans or diets towards eating that is based on an individuals unique internal hunger, appetite, satiety cues and emotional needs.
4. I believe in encouraging all forms of physical activity in the pursuit of the health benefits associated with exercise, as opposed to following a rigid and specific routine of exercise where the primary goal is weight loss
5. I believe that there is beauty and worth in every body and that differences in body shape, size or weight are not indicative of that individuals health status or moral character.
* These tenets were personally adapted and paraphrased to represent my unique vision for EmpowRD which encompasses the tenets of HAES®. My version of the tenets are in conjunction with the Tenets published by Karin Kratina, MA, RD and Ellen Shuman in Moving Away From Diets (1996) (11).
To view my pledge to the HAES movement, and to learn more about the pledge concept, or learn more about the HAES movement, visit: http://www.haescommunity.org/pledge_logon.php